I'm a reasonable technical user (can program, some experience reverse engineering) but, I'm completely new to modding/hacking phones. I'd like to learn a bit about android phones so, does anyone know a good beginner tutorial that covers all the jargon used by the community? Also, does anyone know of a description about how the android phone boot process works?
Eventually, I'd like to learn enough to start contributing new tools to the community but, for now I'm a complete newbie so, I also have a few specific questions newbie questions (if these are covered by some tutorial, please link it and I can read it myself):
- What is a gold card exactly? I know it allows you to flash new images but, how does it work?
- What do CID and RUU stand for?
- What do people mean by radios (as in replacing the radio)?
- What exactly is rooting a device? Removing some restriction in the boot process? Granting the default user root privileges? Getting root privileges in debug sessions? Something else?
- I've seen sites that generate gold card images and 'reverse' CID numbers. What are the actually doing when they do this?